1. What is ICN?

The Indiana College Network (ICN) is a gateway to higher education opportunities provided by the Indiana Higher Education Telecommunication System (IHETS). It is a consortium of Indianas colleges and universities working together to provide courses and degrees to those who cannot attend classes on campus.

2. What is distance education?

Distance education is a way to earn college credit without commuting to a campus. It is when distance separates you from the professor.

3. What is the relationship between a students registration for distance ed. courses and her or his eligibility for various kinds of financial aid? For instance, do correspondence or online courses count in ones semester credit totals for financial aid purposes?

It is possible for a student taking distance education courses to receive financial aid. Generally, financial aid eligible courses are those that start and finish during a regular school semester. Open enrollment courses, which do not follow the semester schedule, are generally not financial aid eligible courses. Recommend that the student get in touch with the campus coordinator at the home institution or the financial aid office at the home institution.

4. How much are the classes and how do I pay? **

The cost for a class depends on the university chosen to be the home institution. For instance, if the student chooses to take a course being offered by Vincennes and chooses Ball State as the home institution, the student will pay the cost that Ball State charges for a course. Students are billed by and pay the home institution. The ICN SSC does not handle billing or fee payment. Questions about billing or fees should be addressed to the home institution campus coordinator.

5. Can I take all of my classes at home or on the Internet?

With the increased number of online courses being offered, it is possible to take many classes over the Internet. Depending upon what your goal is, you could take many courses in your own home. There are a few degrees available completely through distance education, but most include some on-campus courses or courses delivered using other distance education technologies.

6. What degrees can I get from ICN? **

Refer student to the degree information on the Web.

7. Whats the difference between print correspondence classes offered by an institution and distance learning classes?

Correspondence courses can be completed in a time frame that exceeds the normal semester period. Some institutions offer these courses in addition to the courses they offer via distance learning. Distance learning courses are scheduled according to semester calendar of the originating institution. They may include some components of correspondence (i.e., sending your assignment in via regular mail).

8. How do I take the classes? **

Classes can be taken through a variety of methods including via the Internet, videotape, two-way video conferencing, IHETS Interactive, CD-ROM, correspondence, and computer disk.

9. Can I get financial aid? **

See question one.

10. What kind of classes do you offer?

The Indiana College Network offers a variety of courses—undergraduate and graduate, as well as certificate programs, both degree and non-degree. A

11. Where is and what is a receive site?

A receive site is a place you can go to utilize IHETS Interactive. The site could be your local library, high school, CES office, hospital, or business. Discover the students location and point the student to the nearest site.

12. I think I saw a class on cable TV; how can I take that class?

Check IHETS information to see what courses are being offered over which cable stations across the state and then check with the institution offering the course. Refer the student to that campus coordinator. If the station is a PBS station, look for contact information at the end of the program or visit the PBS Web site.

13. Can I get my degree at home? **

Refer student to the degree information on the Web or talk with them on the phone about available degrees. There are some degrees available completely through distance education, but many require course delivery methods other than the Internet.

14. Can I transfer my classes? **

Refer the student to the campus coordinator at the home institution and advise the student to talk with his/her advisor as well. Students should make transfer of credits in advance of registration. The student can also get the transferability agreement, located on the ICN Web site, approved and signed by his or her advisor prior to registering for the class.

15. What’s a home institution? **

This is the institution where the students records are kept and where the student can pursue a degree or program of study. The home institution bills the student and distributes financial aid.

16. How do I pick a home institution? **

If the student is working on a degree through ICN, then the degree-granting institutions should be the home institution. If the student is NOT working on a degree through ICN, then the decision about the home institution can be based on other factors. Often, it may be best (if possible) to have the home institution be the same as the originating institution (the institution that is offering the course the student is taking). Other factors to consider may be family ties, cost, and location.

17. Is a degree through ICN as good as a regular degree? **

Yes. While the method of delivery may be different, the transcript and degree are still the same as a degree gained on campus.

18. What is tuition for distance education courses for in-state AND for out-of-state?

Tuition rates for in-state students are basically the same as for on-campus students—check with the home institution to see what their fees are. For out-of-state students, rates may differ. Some institutions have reciprocal agreements (which assess out of state fees), others do not. Check with the home institution for clarification.

19. Are there fees in addition to tuition?

Sometimes there are fees for technology, labs, or learning centers. Check with the home institution.

20. When will course fees be billed?

Once a campus coordinator registers the student and all other information is gathered, the student should be billed. Check with the home institution. regarding billing dates.

21. Why cant my desired home institution be the home institution for any course I want?

Sometimes institutions do not have equivalencies to other courses. For instance, if a student wants Ivy Tech to be the home institution and to take a 300-level course from ISU, it is impossible, as Ivy Tech only has courses that reach the 200 level.

22. What courses are offered to those who need teacher certification? **

There are many graduate level education courses offered. These courses can be taken by teachers updating their certificates. See the schedule of classes for a complete listing. However, check with the Indiana Professional Standards Board or the home institution to find out what is required for certification. Look in this handbook for important links to campus offices for licensure offices on-campus with accompanying information.

23. Can I take all of my classes over cable TV?

It depends on how many courses you want to take; not many courses are currently offered this way. A complete degree cannot be earned via cable TV alone. And some areas do not have cable TV courses being offered.

24. How do I register for a course? **

You can register directly with the campus coordinator at the home institution, you can register on the ICN Web site after speaking with an advisor.

25. What happens AFTER I register? **

Once a students pre-registration form is checked over by the SSC staff, a copy of the form is sent to the home institution and an e-mail of notification is sent to the originating institution(s). After students register, the originating institution will contact the Learning Center, rather than the student services centers making that contact. If there are no problems, the registrar at the home institution will register the student. Then the home institution coordinator will verify registration with originating institution(s) and Learning Center. The student will be contacted by the home institutions campus coordinator to verify or gather information. The student should check with the campus coordinator about ordering materials for class.

26. Who do I talk to for more information about a degree program?

Call the contact person at the institution that offers the degree—see the ICN Web sites campus coordinator lists or the list of degrees. Contact the campus coordinator if the degree program representative cannot be reached.

27. If I take a class by videotape, Internet, or cable how do I take the exams and get credit for the course?

Exams are either taken at the nearest Learning Center or can possibly be taken online. Credit is given once the course is completed.

28. Can I earn a degree/certificate in (something ICN doesnt offer)? **

If the caller is in Indiana, do degree research in Petersons and other distance learning resources. If the caller lives outside of Indiana, refer student to reference sources or call the student services center at 1-800-426-8899.

**Most frequently asked questions