You may submit an ICN preregistration request at any time; however, it will held until registration has begun at your Home Institution for the semester indicated. If registration is already underway at your Home Institution, your request will be processed within 24 hours, M-F, 8am-5pm.

Spring 2012
Summer 2012

To ensure that a course from another ICN institution will be accepted by your Home Institution and your specific degree program, ask your academic advisor to sign the form below prior to registering for the course(s). Be sure to keep a copy of the signed document with your important records.

ICN Interinstitutional Course Form

To drop a course(s), file a written request with the ICN campus coordinator at your Home Institution. You may use either the ICN Online Drop/Withdrawal Form or the Home Institution's drop/withdrawal form. Your ICN campus coordinator will notify your instructor.

  • Go to My ICN and click on "Withdraw or Drop Classes" under My ICN Menu
  • Complete and submit the ICN Online Drop/Withdrawal Form
  • Follow up with your Home Institution ICN campus coordinator

Withdrawals and Refunds
Whether you plan to withdraw from a single course or from an institution entirely, notify the ICN campus coordinator at your Home Institution in writing, using either the ICN Online Drop/Withdrawal Form or the drop/withdrawal form of the Home Institution. The fee refund policy and drop schedule of your Home Institution will apply, when applicable, and will be processed only after receipt of the drop/withdrawal form. 

Among Participating ICN Institutions

The method of transferring courses between ICN colleges and universities depends upon the participation level of each institution. Colleges and universities listing their courses through ICN participate in one of two ways: as an institution that follows ICN Interinstitutional Registration or as an institution that follows Traditional Registration and Transfer procedures. 

Institutions that follow ICN Interinstitutional Registration

Most but not all colleges and universities that promote their classes and programs through ICN participate in interinstitutional registration. This means that you register at your Home Institution for all courses that originate from any ICN Home Institution. (If you would like to register for a class from an instituton that is not serving as an ICN Home Institution, see Registering for Courses Via Traditional Registration and Transfer.) You pay the tuition of your Home Institution and follow its policies. If you receive financial aid, it will cover the cost of courses originating from other ICN Home Institutions. Courses taken at other ICN Home Institutions through ICN Interinstitutional Registration are considered resident credit at your Home Institution, meaning they are NOT transfer courses.

Example: Mary has been admitted into a degree program at Indiana State University (ISU). She would like to register for two ISU courses and one Ivy Tech - Terre Haute course. To ensure that the Ivy Tech course will be accepted by ISU and her particular degree program, Mary has her academic advisor sign a copy of the ICN Interinstitutional Course Form. Mary then goes to the ICN Web site to preregister for the Ivy Tech course. She will register for her ISU courses using ISU's registration procedures. After her form is reviewed by ICN staff, it is forwarded to ISU. Staff at ISU will register Mary for all three courses—the two from ISU and the one from Ivy Tech - Terre Haute. If Mary is receiving financial aid at ISU, it will cover the cost of all three of her courses. If Mary is not receiving financial aid, she will receive a bill from ISU for tuition for all three courses at ISU's tuition rate. A coordinator from both ISU and Ivy Tech - Terre Haute will contact Mary with information on purchasing her books. Mary attends her three courses over the course of the semester. After completing her coursework, Mary receives her ISU Report Card, which shows that she has completed three ISU courses.

Institutions that follow traditional registration and transfer procedures—Institutions that follow Traditional Registration and Transfer procedures (identified as Originating Institutions only on Participating Institutions) require you to register for your course(es) and pay your tuition directly to the Originating Institution(s). You are responsible for transferring credit(s) earned back to the Home Institution. If you receive financial aid, it will NOT cover the cost of courses originating from institutions that follow Traditional Registration and Transfer procedures.

Example: John is working on an associate degree from Ivy Tech - Terre Haute (his Home Institution). He would like to take a class from the University of Indianapolis. John applies for nondegree admission to the University of Indianapolis. Once admitted, he registers for the class directly with the University, and pays the University's tuition. Upon completion of the course, he transfers the course to Ivy Tech - Terre Haute for inclusion on his official transcript.

Institutions currently following traditional registration and transfer procedures:

  • Indiana Wesleyan University
  • Saint Mary-of-the-Woods
  • Taylor University Center for Lifelong Learning*
  • University of Indianapolis
  • University of Saint Francis

*Although the Taylor University Center for Lifelong Learning follows traditional registration and transfer procedures, they work cooperatively with ICN institutions on a one-to-one basis whenever possible to assist students who want to use financial aid from the Home Institution to cover the cost of courses to be taken at Taylor.

More Articles...

  1. Admission and Registration